Actions Imprévues: 540 minutes pour John cage / Improvisation avec termes lexicaux de la mycologie
CKUT hosted a John Cage inspired day of programming to celebrate Cage’s Centennial on Wednesday, September 5th 2012 between 9am and 10pm.
John Cage was born on September 5th, 1912, and his ideas on the musicality of sound, inclusion of indeterminate elements in composition and chance operations as structural elements in composition continue to inspire and influence the works of countless composers, musicians, performers and artists across disciplines.
Local composers, musicians, sound and radio artists presented performances, readings, and compositions by or inspired by Cage.
The line-up included :
- 11:00 – 12:00: Nancy Tobin: Reading Stories about Mushroom Gathering
- 12:00 – 1:00: Chantal Dumas: 40° Nord – 73° Ouest
- 1:00 – 1:15: Pierre Marc Beaudoin
- 1:15 – 2:00: Andrea Jane Cornell: InonoutinInoutonin
- 3:00 – 4:00: Emilie Mouchous: Improvisation avec termes lexicaux de la Mycologie
- 4:00 – 5:00: Mario Gauthier: Some Thing(s) from John Cage/ Quelques chose(s) de John Cage
- 8:00 – 9:00: Chantal Laplante(avec Cléo Palacio-Quintin and David Cronkite: Variations IV, Lecture on Nothing In a Landscape, Two4
- 9:00:10:00: Eric Letourneau: Silences et fragements de discours politique
My contribution builds around a love for foraging, practice that both John Cage and I cherished. As a tribute to the risky side of chance, I walked into the on-air studio only carrying the reference book 'Savoir reconnaître, cueillir, cuisiner les champignons du Québec' and a small battery-powered sound effect gadget for an hour of live radio !
Improvisation avec termes lexicaux de la Mycologie LISTEN (mp3)